Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Student Spotlight: T. L. Williams

Check Out The Second City's Student Spotlight! Get to know these awesome students and what makes them tick! Do you know a SC student that deserves the limelight? Email Andrew Thorp at athorp@secondcity.com with your recommendation.

1. Who are you?

I'm T. L. Williams

2. Where are you from?

I'm from Chicago's south suburbs

3. Why did you start taking classes with The Second City?

I decided that I wanted to act and be a performer, but first I wanted to find a good school where I can learn to do that. As soon as I started looking I found Second City Chicago's Training Center.

4. What do you like most about the class you are taking this term?

This term I'm in level 2 of The Conservatory, and I'm really starting to learn what it means to have great scene editing and to manipulate beats. I'm also learning how to draw great characters from my own personal experiences.

5. Who is your current instructor?

Norm Holly

6. Who are some of your past instructors?

I had a great mix of instructors. I got the chance to learn from people like Craig Uhlir, Kimme Companik-Warner, Jay Stiegmann, Rebecca Hanson-Ryder, Jason Ball, & Micah Philbrook.

7. How has your experience here helped outside of the classroom?

A lot of the things I learned in the classroom I applied it to my everyday life, and it has made life so much more fun. Even my family & friends noticed a change in my personality! I'm also a recording artist, and the knowledge I received from SC has also helped me in that part of my life as well.

8. What’s your favorite book?

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss...must've read it a least a gazillion times. I even wrote a thesis about it in college (got an A+ too!)

9. What is your favorite band?

Coldplay...I can't wait for their next LP!

10. If you were stuck on an island with one Second City alum, who would it be and why?

Steve Carrell...while we're working to get rescued I would pick his brain about the inspiration behind my favorite "Office" episodes and movie characters...hopefully he doesn't get annoyed and try to kill me.

11. What's the funniest thing someone did in your class?

As soon as the scene started, one of my classmates pulled out a [improv] gun and immediately shot his scene partner...the suggestion was "piano movers"! Watching this guy try to move a grand piano by himself was insanely funny to me.

12. Who is your favorite Second City related comedian presently?

I love what Tina Fey is doing with 30 Rock, The feel, the pace, and the timing of the writing keeps me laughing non-stop througout the show.

13. What do you love most about Chicago?

I love the experiences and the opportunities the city has to offer. The Atmosphere is beautiful. I don't know why they call it "The Second City"..it's really second to none.

14. What do you hate most about Chicago?

Some of the people can be snobby, unfriendly, and down-right mean...not all of them...but some of them.

15. Any shows you are in or would like to plug?

I am currently in a new play at the Viaduct Theatre entitled "Homegoing". This May I will be in a Second City Writing 6 show entitled "The Truth And Other Lies"..I'm also a singer/songwriter/producer and you can hear me and see my videos on my new website www.whoistlwilliams.com. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment