Friday, April 23, 2010

Remembering Alumni Raul Moncada

It is with much sadness that we learned of the passing of Alumni Raul Moncada on Monday, April 5. Raul Moncada was a Stage Manager for The Second City for three years and also served as Director for the one of the first Second City Touring Companies. Raul worked extensively with San Diego's Old Globe Theater as a Literary Associate, Stage Manager and Multicultural Associate. Luckily, we were able to spend some time with Raul in Chicago during the 50th anniversary festivities this past December. A memorial for Raul Moncada has been planned for Monday, May 3, from 6:00-8:00pm at The Old Globe’s Hattox Hall (1363 Old Globe Way, San Diego, CA). If you are able to attend, please RSVP to rwells-famula@TheOldGlobe.org.

2 comments:

  1. I am very saddened to hear this, first brought to my attention by Joe Ruffner earlier today. When I was at the 50th anniversary celebration I was thrilled to finally meet Raul in person. We spoke several times on the phone when I was working at Second City and while I was living in Los Angeles in the mid to late 90s. He was always friendly, helpful and gracious. He was a wealth of information to me when I was starting out as an improv stage manager. The guidance of Raul, Perk and Fred helped me understand how to feel and pull an out, which I went on to do for over 4000 performances. We have lost a truly good human being. He'll be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raul came to work for me shortly after he moved to California from Chicago. Raul worked for our theatre company (Twelfth Night Rep, aka: TNRC) for several years as an actor, writer and director. Many of us remained as friends over the years (and decades), enjoying periodic reunions. Raul always came to the reunions, including one last summer.

    What a wonderful man. Intelligent, caring, fun, easy going. Where ever he is now, I am imagining that he is enjoying the journey and adventure!

    ReplyDelete