Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Second City Training Centre unleashes puppets in the neighbourhood!

The Second City has a new sector and it's all run by puppets! The Second City Puppet Co. is an ensemble of 8 puppeteers directed by Artistic Director and Second City Alumni Kevin Frank. You can see the puppets weekly on Sunday Nights in The John Candy Box Theatre as they live through the trials and tribulations of "The Young and The Guest List." A PG-13 show.

Starting this Saturday Puppet Co makes things G-Rated for families and kids. Once Upon A Puppet is an improvised fairytale for families (ages 3 and up). Come and see a new fairy tale every week - based on your suggestions. Oh ya, and it's in 3D!

Shows are every Saturday at 1pm (30 minutes long)
Tickets are $5 and can be reserved in advance by calling 416.340.7270
$20 for a family 6 pack

70 Peter Street, Lower Level (at King and Blue Jays Way)

1 comment:

  1. This is the culmination of Western civilization for all I am concerned. How did this troupe get started? Do you recruit through the training centre? I am dying to know everything. I just saw a Second City show for the first time in my life in Norman, Oklahoma, and when I caught this headline on the website I realized that this was the missing piece--puppets.
    The improv/sketch form is a beautiful and evolving thing, but this really does seem like the innovation that could reinvigorate the form for the new century. I sound nuts because I am. I'm a grown woman who is suddenly obsessed by the notion that somewhere in Canada, some sort of supernatural confluence of the freshest and weirdest and edgiest storytelling forms--sketch comedy, improv, and puppetry--is occurring, and I am acutely dissatisfied not to be able to contribute or bear witness.
    Onward to victory, comrades.

    ReplyDelete