Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Student Spotlight: Praveen Dandamudi

Check Out The Second City's Student Spotlight! Get to know these awesome students and what makes them tick! Do you know a SC student that deserves the limelight? Email Andrew Thorp at athorp@secondcity.com with your recommendation.

Who are you and what do you do?

Praveen Dandamudi. I am a physician.

Where are you from?

Battle Creek, Michigan

Why did you start taking classes with The Second City?

Awhile back during a bar conversation, my friend's brother was telling me about improv classes he took at Second City. And you know when you can see in someone's face how much they enjoyed whatever they were talking about; this was one of those times. I made a mental note and a few years later signed up for a class when I knew I could make the time commitment and have loved taking classes and performing ever since.

What do you like most about the class you are taking this term?

I am excited to learn a more structured process of creating sketch from improv. Currently, I just write sketches and film them for fun with friends when I have down time. Something tells me there is much much more to it than that.

Who is your current instructor?

Tim O'Malley

Who are some of your past instructors?

At Second City: Jessica Rogers, Ranjit Souri, Erica Elam, Dunbar Dicks, Brian Posen, Ric Walker, Tim Soszko (He coached one of my independent teams).

How has your experience here helped outside of the classroom?

It helped me grow as an individual overall, so it has really helped in all aspects of life. I feel more fulfilled, am more comfortable expressing my inner thoughts, having more fun, and I think it actually makes you listen and react more genuinely outside of class as well.

What’s your favorite book?

I bet you never have got this answer before - The Catcher in the Rye. I know, it's shocking.

What is your favorite band?

I don't have one favorite band, depends on my mood. Right now I am really liking Jose Gonzalez and the Fruit Bats.

If you were stuck on an island with one Second City alum, who would it be and why?

That's a tough question. I would say Chris Farley. If I am slowly dying on a stranded island, I might as well be laughing constantly.

What's the funniest thing someone did in your class?

Someone showed up late once. I laugh about it to this day.

Who is your favorite Second City related comedian presently?

I like watching Bill Murray and Fred Willard because of how dry and comitted they are. Stephen Colbert is basically living in one character so wholeheartedly, he is amazing to watch. Tina Fey's writing is so clever and always filled with subtle callbacks.

What do you love most about Chicago?

Everything except the prolonged winter. I love the people, the support/opportunities for improv around the city, the food, the distinctly different neighborhoods, and sitting outside in cafes/bars all over the city in the summer.

What do you hate most about Chicago?

Every April. The day is longer, but it's not warmer. April in Chicago taunts me.

Any shows you are in or would like to plug

I was on two independent teams that both died of natural causes earlier this year. I have some iO graduation shows coming up in May. Other than that, I am at Wendy's on Ashland and Division a lot. I don't think that qualifies though.

No comments:

Post a Comment